Saturday, January 5, 2008

It’s A New Day: Knowing More of God




It’s A New Day~ Knowing More of God



I will be your God throughout your lifetime-until your hair is white with age. I made you, and I will care for you. I will carry you along and save you.
Isaiah 46:4 NIV

As I sat with our new friends during an evening of jazz and a great fish fry, I thoroughly enjoyed meeting such a delightful couple. This was a change of pace; an unexpected encounter. The restaurant had reserved signs at empty tables-so my husband and I stood patiently until we were ushered at a table where a couple had already been comfortable and had completed their meal. They were gracious enough to share the space and before long easy conversation and laughter flowed.

I recounted that our New Year’s Day found us walking, hand in hand and having a deep heart to heart discussion, on a brisk January 1st morning. My husband and I shared some new year’s goals and agreed we’d work together to accomplish them. This unexpected walk made my morning. We were in a new place, a neighborhood I had never visited on foot, but enjoyed the adventure. As I share this with you I realize that this was a great way to start the year- my husband and I were literally and figuratively in sync.

A menacing dog barked and appeared to want to lunge at us, but didn’t, his bark was mean and I just knew this was it for me. I’d be devoured and mauled, so I imagined! But nothing happened, we walked down the street. A few yards away from the ferocious bark we heard a consistent bark and before long there was the tiniest dog charging down his driveway, running like he was on fire. A little boy was chasing the dog, but he refused to stop—the miniature animal circled us, the boy was chasing the dog, and my husband was swatting the dog with the newspaper in his hand. I couldn’t help it I just started roaring with laughter, running. This scene must have looked crazy to anyone peering out of their curtains. Finally the little boy retrieved him, but not with out a scuffle-the little mutt wanted a piece of somebody’s ankle. Today he’d (the little dog) only intimidate not succeed.


Moments before the walk I had managed to have a devotional period, earlier that morning. I didn’t share that we were visiting some dear friends who now stayed in a spacious home, call it a retreat center, a bed and breakfast whatever you like, just know that their space lends itself to peace, prayer and reflective thinking. I made myself very comfortable at a picture window which faced trees, a sloping lawn and some outdoor furniture. The landscape was serene. The sun beamed through the window and there I sat at the desk and prayed -- opened my prayer book (I discovered christianword.org and ordered a free prayer book-no strings attached) referenced my bible and before long, I began enjoying the room’s decor. In that moment I witnessed art that I hadn’t noticed when I entered the room. This handsome piece of art that hung on the wall had all the names of God. I knew in that instance that this was a gift from God!

This was unexpected. Can’t you just see it- God desires that we embrace the realization that we’ve only known Him to a degree, there’s more to God than our experience.
How do you know Him more? I’d like to believe that by Living more, laughing more, forgiving more, loving more, acknowledging your shortcomings, trusting God more, forgiving yourself and others, studying His word, praying more and be open to more of His divine good—is a great start to knowing God more! Thank you Holy Spirit; for reminding us that we need to get to know more of God in this New Year.


As I stood in front of the art, before long, I scanned the names of God and realized that there are names that I don’t often refer to such as: Advocate (1John 2:1), Dayspring (Luke 1:18) and The Amen (Rev3:14). Friends I began to have a deeper appreciation not only for the names of God but what that has meant in my life. I realized that there so much more that I’ve yet to learn about my divinity and God’s omnipotence.


This year I will endeavor to be vigilant about studying more, carving out more sacred reading time, embracing more thought provoking material. I like you, desire to know Him more deeply and more personal. I need to change my mind, and get captive some of the limiting thinking and be open to all the possibilities of what our powerful, all knowing God can do and provide.
Are you there also?

This year there will probably be more occasions than not where some big dogs and some little mutts may try to upset our peace, but I suspect friends that God is encouraging us, to be mindful of who He is and whose you are!!! Our encounters with the frustrations of life will not limit the majesty, scope and power of our God! So my friends, don’t be dismayed by the surprise occurrences this year, just be assured as you hold onto God’s hand that by His very essence you are kept. Have a blessed year and I’ll see you at the next outing!!! Pass the fish please!

Joyfully Submitted by Linda Mose Meadows
Author of the
www.blessednessofbelieving.blogspot.com

All rights reserved, no use without prior written permission of Linda M. Meadows

No comments: